True darkness is generally hard to find in the city. Our street lights go on as the sun goes down, even our jetties have lights on them.
A lot of people shoot long exposure beachscapes when the sun goes down, which is what I tend to do also. Sometimes (rarely as I'm not a morning person - lol), I like to go out in the morning before sunrise. This is when you can get some really interesting shots with the tide being different to night time and the moon might still be up casting a glow on the water. I do have a few moon shots at sunrise but I haven't processed them yet, all in the archives still :)). Pre-sunrise mornings also generally mean an absence of people on the jetty, particularly in winter. Although plenty are still walking along the ocean front at first light.
20mm, ISO 200, f/9, 2.5 seconds.

LH here :)
ReplyDeleteSuper Cool blog you've started here. What can be better than amazing photos and interesting words ! I have a new camera coming in the mail that will give me a lot of manual settings that I'm sure I'll have many questions about. Would someday like to try long exposure too. I'm looking forward to seeing your moon shots at sunrise. Smiles to you '75 :)
Thank you Linda :) Any questions you have, fire away! What camera are you getting?
Deletea Pentax K-5 ii.
DeleteWith a 18-135mmWR f3.5-5.6 lens.
As soon as possible I'll want to get a macro lens. Possibly a Pentax 100mm f2.8 or a Tamron 90mm f2.8. Do you usually use your 100mm f2.8 or your 50mm f1.8 for macros?
:D
The 18-135 will give you a great range, I'm sure you will love it. Having manual settings will allow you to control the light which is always helpful when you live in a sun soaked area. I look forward to seeing your new creations. For macro work, I use the Canon 100mm f/2.8. It is a beautiful lens. I never use it on f/2.8 really, usually around f/4-8 depending on what I am shooting.
DeleteI was checking your photostream to see if you had any new images and realized you had a blog site as well. This is something I had considered doing as well at some point. I like the organization and layout. I especially like your tools section lets people ask questions like the one above. One of the things I always wonder about is what did people use to get this or that image. I know the good tools doesn't make good photo's but when I look at the most amazing bird portrait and realize it was taken with an eighteen thousand dollar 800mm lens I feel better about my images :)
ReplyDeleteKeep it up Bec...your photography is fantastic
Spence
Hi Spence,
ReplyDeleteThank you :) I started this blog because I wanted to start a new project, it's getting dark but I was already doing a couple this year on Flickr. So I thought to myself I could start a blog and take it at my own pace and see where it goes. I don't have a minimum number of photos or a time frame. Just to shoot in semi/darkness... I hope it will expand my skills.
I agree, I love looking at how someone achieved a shot, through lenses, cameras, settings. I love it when people don't hide their settings too so I can see what they have done. Invariably the combination I see most that I love is the 5Diii & the 16-35mm lens. The combination of those two is quite magic. They are also very expensive!!
Thank you for stopping in and commenting too :))) You should definitely make a blog of your own, would love to read about what you do as I think your photos are pretty fantastic too!
Bec